Skip to main content

TESL 0120

Unit 4: ‘Aha’ Moment

Learning the sequence of lesson planning is very motivating.  Grammar lessons can’t just be given in an instructional way but transitioning from listening to grammar that is related to the lesson is something new.  Integrating vocabulary using the listening and speaking activities does make a difference in connecting everything together.  Giving mixed-up sentence activity, vocabulary matching and text completion quiz is like giving them a game which they would enjoy learning.  Kids do this in school which is very effective, and now realizing why not for adults? Adults can have fun learning too.  I have to look for more resources for these types of practice as it is really engaging and effective. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TESL 110: Unit 4 Lesson Planning

  Unit 4: Lesson Planning Learning these lesson types enlightened me on which I am most comfortable in practice. Present-Practice-Produce (PPP) type of lesson plan is where I see myself practicing the most. I now see the importance of a Task-Based lesson plan which I would want to try and incorporate in my class. I see it as beneficial because it focuses on fluency, and it is learner-centered whereas I currently practice the teacher-centered (PPP) lesson type. It can be challenging as it is difficult to monitor and unpredictable to teach in sequence for learning but because it is based on the learner's needs, it is quite promising to produce results. In my current practice, I assess my student’s needs based on their writing skills and then prepare the PPP practice. I look forward to trying out both skill-based and task-based approaches for my ELA lessons moving forward. I also had an idea to group my learners into each type of lesson plan. Task-based and skill-based lessons can...

TESL 0100 Unit 4: Language Acquisition

Language Acquisition             “We all acquire language in exactly the same way.” This is an outrageous claim by Stephen Krashen [1] on his Language Acquisition interview.   Indeed it is but I agree that it is true. As a child, we learn by listening and mimicking, based on our daily conversation.   We acquire language by watching and listening to someone speaks and subconsciously collecting words and understanding what is being said. When you watch children play using little people toys, what do they do?   They role play based on what happens around them.   They play going to the doctor, church, shopping, eating, cooking and everything that they can act based on daily activities. That’s when you can see language acquisition happen.               “Immigrant children don’t speak right away when they arrive.   It takes several months of...

TESL 0100 Unit 4: Difference between the First Language Acquisition and Second Language Acquisition

It is evident that anyone’s first language is acquired from birth. Some studies show that language is heard from the time a fetus can hear from the womb. Based on the study of US National Library of Medicine National Institute of Health about Development of fetal hearing elaborates, “The development of fetal behavioural responsiveness to pure tone auditory stimuli was examined from 19 to 35 weeks of gestational age. Stimuli were presented by a loudspeaker placed on the maternal abdomen and the fetus’s response, a movement, recorded by ultrasound.   The sensitivity of the fetus to sounds in the low frequency range may promote language acquisition.” Since the first language is what we call our “mother tongue”, it is not consciously learned compared to second language.   We acquire our first language through hearing, mimicking and collecting vocabulary words as we grow up until we learn how to speak on our own. We know our language by heart because it is part of our da...