Skip to main content

Approaches to Grammar and Writing Instruction


Grammar is the organization of words set to follow a structure to properly communicate. I read once that without reading, learners won’t know words, and without words, learners won’t be able to write. This is true enough why grammar and writing should be taught together. Students must be able to write what they learned using proper grammar. How about those whose first language writing is not the alphabet? That makes it a totally different challenge.   

Communicating through speaking and writing differs in a lot of aspects. Speaking requires spontaneity while writing on the other hand can be thought of at a given time. (S7-Crystal) Bright and Crystal’s lists magnify all required considerations when planning classroom instructions. It interests me that acquisitional ability is inborn rather than learned. (Bright) I would agree. Everyone is not gifted to adapt to a language or learn to speak and write proficiently.  

Listening and speaking are the first senses that we use. We learn to speak the language that we hear all the time. Reading and writing are taught and learned. It is understandable how difficult it is to learn English from the Chinese mother tongue when each of their characters corresponds to an entire word in English. It is least to mention that in speaking their words, the meaning depends on tone too. (S4-Crystal) There are also English sounds that they don’t pronounce in their language. This is where age consideration comes in when learning English. It makes sense now that there are a lot of young Chinese students online learning English because as they age, the language acquisition differs.

I learned two dialects before I could speak Tagalog. My mother is from the North and speaks (Ilocano) a different dialect from the South (Bisaya) where my father grew up. I spent my early years with my dad’s family and was surrounded by people speaking their dialect. Then I lived with my grandmother (mother's side) for most of my childhood years. They spoke their dialect too. I was never required to speak their language. I respond to them in Tagalog when they communicate with me using their own language. I learned English in school and watched cartoons. (Bright's ‘standardization’) Most of our books in school are instructional English except for our official language subject. It did influence my way of pronunciation and I could say that until now, it is there. It is when I’m being spontaneous that I don’t even notice that I pronounce my vowels improperly. It’s only when I’m corrected that I would stop and wait, “I didn’t say it like that.” In my mind, I said it right. It is a struggle that my tongue is not doing what my mind is saying. How do you correct that?  

It is important to know the learner's background to identify specific target points to address their needs. Writing is a good way to practice grammar. When learners can spontaneously write their hearts out, it’s a good start to practice noticing grammar. (Mixed Medium - Crystal)

Technology in this generation provides all possible resources learners and teachers can use to help them improve even on their own. One experience I have with Grade 3 students who are reluctant readers and writers, they used ‘google voice to text’ to look for words and research. They didn’t even have to type and spell. I found that so smart. I didn’t even know about it until I saw my students doing it. Learners are now empowered more than ever. 


 

Inductive Teaching based on research is student-centered and promotes long-life learning. This approach teaches learners to notice and figure out lessons by making conclusions based on observation and patterns. The Deductive Teaching approach on the other hand is presented through rules and how it works then drills with practice. It is perceived to be teacher-centered. 

Evaluating my own teaching style, I see myself doing both approaches. My ELA class is mostly the deductive approach but my Science and Social Studies most of the time is an inductive approach. It always depends on what is being learned. When students are curious, an inductive approach is easy to present. When students are not really into reading, then the deductive approach is my easy way to present the lesson. 

Now that I am learning to teach grammar for adult learners, it makes sense to do the inductive approach to train learners to notice the patterns and expand learning on their own.

A deductive presentation style is good when you are teaching at the elementary level. It will also depend on the student's learning style. When most students do not participate in inquiry-based learning, the deductive approach is the best course of action. 

The inductive presentation takes time to prepare but is indeed an excellent approach to promote lifelong learning. Contemplating on all of this, how do you choose which presentation is appropriate when it’s your first time to teach in an adult setting? I could only imagine doing an inductive approach and ending up with different students' conclusions and more questions that confuse them. I guess I’d have to prepare for both approaches just in case half of the class is at point-blank. 


Bright, W. (2012) What’s the Difference between Speech and Writing? Linguistic Society of America?

Josef Essberger (2011) Speaking vs Writing The PEN IS MIGHTIER THAN THE Spoken WORD. OR IS IT? 

David Crystal (2005 Pearson Education) Speaking of Writing and Writing of Speaking

Inductive and Deductive Grammar Teaching

Deductive Approach vs inductive Approach in Teaching 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Teach Grammar?

It is a surprise that Joseph Webbe’s attitude to grammar as early as 1622 mentioned the holistic approach to learning language as he quoted, “No man can run speedily to the mark of language that is shackled… with grammar precepts. By exercise of reading, writing, and speaking… all things belonging to Grammar, will without labour, and whether we will or no, thrust themselves upon us.” Surprisingly, English grammar is still taught in other countries using the “Rule of Law” transmission view as I experienced. Though I believe it is essential but lacks the speaking part to complete the holistic process of learning. ( Thornbury: How to Teach Grammar ; Chapter 2, pg. 17) Learning a second-language must be experiential (the knowledge-how argument). Speaking and writing practices are essential to express grammar learning. It is saddening that learners of a second-language are limiting themselves in speaking outside the classroom and practise the use of language at home. Learning must not b

TESL 0100 - Unit 4: How Language are Learned Opinion to Statements

How Language are Learned 1.       Languages are learned mainly through imitation. §   Indeed, languages are learned mainly through imitation.   The Principle of Automaticity explains how children learn foreign languages when they are living in the cultural and linguistic environment of the language.    It is also a fact that we all learned our first language through imitation.   Our parents thought us how to speak by asking us to imitate them. We all started as imitators before we subconsciously learned all words by listening and being in the environment of that language. Second language learners are also the same.   In my country, most kids learn English by watching English cartoons; mimic them through singing and understanding the conversation by answering questions through the audio-video activities. Imitation I should say is the first step and the best way to learn a language.       2.       Parents usually correct young children when they make grammatical err

TESL 110: Unit 1- Why Teach Grammar?

  Grammar is the basic foundation of proper communication.  It becomes a major challenge to converse or write without this foundation. Grammar helps learners to be more proficient and confident in using their language in all aspects of communication, speaking, and writing and more so to enjoy listening and reading.                   Teachers do struggle too, “And that’s because, as I and other language experts have pointed out, they themselves were never taught much, if any, grammar. And appropriate teaching support and materials are lacking.” quoted from the 'grammar-still-matters'.                Though it is my professional responsibility to learn grammar for teaching purposes, it is beyond my present skill to be called an expert. It takes years to master grammar and knowing it all at the top of your head will require years of being in an environment where grammar is tested on a daily basis. This is impossible to do when you are basically teaching the fundamentals. I don’t