Skip to main content

TESL 110: Unit 4 Lesson Planning

 Unit 4: Lesson Planning

Learning these lesson types enlightened me on which I am most comfortable in practice. Present-Practice-Produce (PPP) type of lesson plan is where I see myself practicing the most. I now see the importance of a Task-Based lesson plan which I would want to try and incorporate in my class. I see it as beneficial because it focuses on fluency, and it is learner-centered whereas I currently practice the teacher-centered (PPP) lesson type. It can be challenging as it is difficult to monitor and unpredictable to teach in sequence for learning but because it is based on the learner's needs, it is quite promising to produce results. In my current practice, I assess my student’s needs based on their writing skills and then prepare the PPP practice. I look forward to trying out both skill-based and task-based approaches for my ELA lessons moving forward. I also had an idea to group my learners into each type of lesson plan. Task-based and skill-based lessons can be given to those independent learners, so I could focus on my at-risk learners and do the PPP approach.  

Community Knowledge-Based Learning is an effective approach for language acquisition practice. It is engaging and motivating to enhance the learning experience. It is the best course of action for ESL learners as they can use and connect it in real current situations. This will be beneficial to incorporate their speaking, reading, listening, and writing literacy all in one approach. Though it is time-consuming and challenging to prepare, it is the most effective way that I see to cover cognitive, affective, and psychomotor domains of learning. 

I found this worth reading article about Community Based learning.  This is a good practice, especially for reluctant learners.  It will be a good strategy for them to connect their learning. This promotes experiential learning and invites learner engagement.  

What is Community Based Learning?

https://tesolpop.com/tesolpopblogs/a-guide-to-present-practice-produce

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TESL 0100 Unit 4: Language Acquisition

Language Acquisition             “We all acquire language in exactly the same way.” This is an outrageous claim by Stephen Krashen [1] on his Language Acquisition interview.   Indeed it is but I agree that it is true. As a child, we learn by listening and mimicking, based on our daily conversation.   We acquire language by watching and listening to someone speaks and subconsciously collecting words and understanding what is being said. When you watch children play using little people toys, what do they do?   They role play based on what happens around them.   They play going to the doctor, church, shopping, eating, cooking and everything that they can act based on daily activities. That’s when you can see language acquisition happen.               “Immigrant children don’t speak right away when they arrive.   It takes several months of...

TESL 0100 Unit 4: Difference between the First Language Acquisition and Second Language Acquisition

It is evident that anyone’s first language is acquired from birth. Some studies show that language is heard from the time a fetus can hear from the womb. Based on the study of US National Library of Medicine National Institute of Health about Development of fetal hearing elaborates, “The development of fetal behavioural responsiveness to pure tone auditory stimuli was examined from 19 to 35 weeks of gestational age. Stimuli were presented by a loudspeaker placed on the maternal abdomen and the fetus’s response, a movement, recorded by ultrasound.   The sensitivity of the fetus to sounds in the low frequency range may promote language acquisition.” Since the first language is what we call our “mother tongue”, it is not consciously learned compared to second language.   We acquire our first language through hearing, mimicking and collecting vocabulary words as we grow up until we learn how to speak on our own. We know our language by heart because it is part of our da...